Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What makes a Man....A Man?

I was listening to NPR this morning and the discussion was the defining moment in a boy's life when he becomes a man.  Immediately I thought, there is no defining moment as it is a gradual thing built on steps but the callers and commentator actually defined the moment to a specific instance.  It was interesting because guys were giving very specific moments as the defining moment.  And it had nothing to do with anything sexual....as you would have thought.  It was very interesting. I will have to think of my defining moment!  Also it is interesting that there are five social markers that people who study these sort of things referenced:  1/ Completing your education 2/Getting Married 3/ Buying a Home 4/ Moving out of your parents house 5/ Having Children.....these markers are widening in years between the different markers but they still exist in all adults regardless of male or female.

2 comments:

  1. Hey...just found your blog today. Looks interesting...I will be a regular visitor.
    Trying to know more about you. I guess I will read the history blogs when I get time.
    Your story is interesting...a construction worker in Florida who is apparently gay, and out? or not out?
    Got to get to work, so I will read more later.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...glad you found me and commented...someone is out there and reads me! I tried to see if you had a blog but it would not let me access...cheers.

    ReplyDelete